Friday, July 15, 2011

Is life blurry?

Our church had a teaching on fasting last weekend. We were challenged to do a 3 day fast, however we felt God leading. The teaching was that physical hunger leads to spiritual hunger. When we fast we deny ourselves something and use that time of denial to focus on God.
God gave me a physical example of focus a few weeks ago. I was told of a waterfall in one of the parks in our area. So one day, I set out to find it. My trek did not end unrewarded. In the midst of a man -made park with lake and a couple wooden bridges, there it was. Now this is no Niagara Falls, just a miniature rush of water, but the sound of moving, living water always calms my soul. As I stood behind the waterfall, looking at the lake and trees, my view was distorted. One step to the right and it all became clear again.
I sensed God trying to say to me that sometimes my life is blurry because I have let sin, or busyness or trying to accomplish things in my own strength take my focus away from Him.
Once I lose my focus, I lose my strength and energy, I lose my joy and peace and eventually the desire to fight the good fight required in this life gets dimmer.
My step to the right to sharpen my view was the challenge of the spiritual discipline of fasting. I felt led to do breakfast the first day, breakfast and lunch, the second day and all day on the third. I spent more time than usual in prayer and God was so faithful in giving me strength and focus in the face of temptation.
I will not share all the details just some insight He gave me. I will say that I felt so refreshed and energized and a new hunger for God. My soul and my body felt cleansed. My only prayer besides strength was to know Him more and He was faithful in showing me.
My clarity came in the middle of my time through a little bird. I was out for an early morning walk and as I reached some water, I noticed a tiny bird fluttering overhead. This bird was flapping like crazy and then a gentle breeze would come and lift its wings, letting the bird float gracefully through the air. This pattern repeated over again but it just seemed more peaceful with the wind under its wings.
As I witnessed God's creature, the word complacency came to me again. Complacency actually means according to Webster's, ' a feeling of quiet pleasure or security, often while unaware of unpleasant possibilities.'
I felt this bird was a picture of when I am complacent in my walk with God, I place my security in myself and flap my wings like crazy trying to figure things out myself. I need a little resistance or action in my circumstances to create the breeze for me to glide on. This turns my focus off of me and back onto God.
I have witnessed as Christians that we are deceived in our complacency. We may feel that quiet pleasure or security and then easily forget the unpleasant possibilities of the devil lurking and prowling waiting for an opportunity to kill, steal and destroy.
We need to be diligent to know God and keep our focus on Him. I encourage you if life has become blurry, to take whatever step to the right you need to bring clarity to your circumstances. I am praying for His revelation in your lives!

Matthew 7:33,34, 'But seek first His kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.'

Jeremiah 33:3 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'

No comments:

Post a Comment