Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Everyone needs compassion!

I am very grateful for the husband God has blessed me with. Sharon A. Hersh in her book Begin Again, Believe Again writes, "When we believe that we are loved even when we are good for nothing, we can rest from all our striving. That is freedom."
Wade has been faithful in showing me this principle. Believe me there have been times when I have been good for nothing. He is committed to love me regardless. I have experienced more freedom through our relationship than I ever have as he loves me with Christ's love.
Ephesians 5:25-28, 31-33
'Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself...
For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. This is a profound mystery - but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.'
See I believe if we love and respect one another as God commands us, the blessings are incredulous. We also are right in the middle of His will when we do this.
John 15:12 says,' My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.'
One of my good for nothing things God is working out in me is my lack of compassion. Without a long history lesson, I always felt I needed to be strong for others, that it was weak to show weakness. This took me to the extreme end of the spectrum in that my first response to pain and suffering was always suck it up, or its not that bad. Empathy has not been my strong suit.
One of the ways God is refining me is through Wade. He struggles with a stricture in his esophagus, a recurring health issue.
As my love and trust deepen through God in our marriage, so does my compassion for Wade and others. It has not been an easy journey for either of us. There have been times when my first instinct is, Oh c'mon, but I am recognizing it sooner. God is giving me His sight for Wade.
We still continue to trust and pray for his healing. It is difficult to watch him struggle. My husband walks out his journey with integrity, trusting God for his best and loving me and our family with God's love.
I have heard it said, Preach all the time and if necessary use words! Wade's life is a testimony.
Please pray for him as he faces an invasive procedure tomorrow morning!

1 comment:

  1. Praying for a full recovery, Momma2! Much love to you guys.

    ReplyDelete