Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Stinkin' Thinkin'

Deliberate according to Websters means; studied or intentional, careful or slow in deciding, slow and even; unhurried, to weigh in the mind;consider.
I believe that God is speaking to me about being deliberate. It is necessary to gain victory in my life.
I have been deliberate about getting on the treadmill everyday. I am also deliberate in doing things to improve my marriage. My husband Wade and I are taking a marriage course. We have been intentional about spending time going to it and in doing our homework together.
As I have sensed the conviction in these areas of my life, I realize more and more how unintentional or not deliberate I am in other ways as well.
How studied or intentional am I at learning God's word. How much do I consider in my mind to actually be obedient to it? How often do I allow my thoughts to just go on unhindered?
2 Corinthians 10:5 says, 'We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.'
Being obedient is not a passive act. See the action needed in this one verse alone. Demolish...take captive....make it obedient....
I am guilty of passive thinking that ends up stinkin' thinkin' as its been said. A place where I follow my feelings and thoughts to a pit of untruth. When I am not deliberate about giving my thoughts to God, it can lead to disobedience.
For example, last year through a series of events I knew in my spirit God called me to write. Then just as easily thorough a series of doubt, I allowed myself to become discouraged and confused. It started by looking around me and comparing myself with others. I chose doubt instead of the truth.
Being deliberate is a decision. I am choosing to think about what I am thinking about. I need to arrest or take captive those thoughts that don't line me up with God's thoughts about me.
It is hard work! I have been passively thinking for many years. I cannot do it alone. This is where God comes in, I make the choices after He has prompted me, and He makes the changes.
'For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.' Hebrews 4:12
Thank you Lord for helping me be deliberate about you. Please renew my mind with your Word and Spirit.
What are you thinking about?

No comments:

Post a Comment