Saturday, January 29, 2011

Standing Ovation

I was infused with breath. A 24 hour injection of familiarity. Now I realize this does not always bring life. There is an idiom that states ' Familiarity breeds contempt', which means the more you know something, the more you start to find fault with it. This was not the meaning I sought.
We have lived in Regina 8 weeks today and I was in need of something familiar in the midst of all that wasn't. So my son, Owen and I traveled to Saskatoon Wednesday afternoon for a dose of something known.
I felt this was part of the process to accept the new things. You see, I sense this separation from what is familiar is completely in God's plan for myself and my family. I just never expected the impact that it had on my heart with so many changes.
I made a decision on the way back home as I sang praise music to God. I could either determine to let the changes be an opportunity to trust God more or let it swallow me up. The swallowing part was not an option and so I promised God I would try not to 'figure out' why things looked or felt the way they did. I would merely ask Him to inhabit the things going on and give me His sight to see Him in it.
A song by Mark Roach playing at the time confirmed His desire to show me that. It is called Surrounded.
'You are here in spite of everything I am>And everything I'm not>When my tears seem like my only water>Fill me with your song Oh God> And I lift up my hands to praise You>I lift up my voice>And I'm surrounded,I'm astounded By Your presence in this place, I can hear you, I feel so near You, I can almost see your face,I am clothed in love, surrounded by Your Grace.
The beautiful thing about our trip was that I realized God has released me from Saskatoon. Funny, I looked up familiarity in the thesaurus and one synonym was freedom. So although there are still people there I long for, I feel free to be in a new city and be who He wants me to be here.
Owen and I both received life from those we saw and love and who are familiar. Strength to press on.
Thanks to my daughter Tessa, my friends Florence and Arlene and all of Owen's friends and his teacher at his old school.
As Owen said when he walked in to spend the day with his old classmates, ' I got a standing ovation!'
Thank you Lord for giving our hearts a 'standing ovation' to encourage us on the journey.
What about you? Is there something that is unfamiliar in your life at this time where you can determine to trust God with the outcome?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your heart Deanna. I can relate to your journey in many ways as a few years ago I was in the same boat. Perhaps for another dose of familiarity we can get together for coffee (or anything really) later this week or weekend? Let me know what works for you!

    ReplyDelete