Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Be Careful Little Eyes What You See

Smoke on the Water took on a whole new meaning for me today. It was my first day of guitar lessons. I was so excited and proud of my progress after just thirty minutes of instruction. I couldn't wait to show my son, Owen, what I learned when he got home from school.
"Check this out, "I said excitedly and picked off the notes.
"Oh, I know that song," he said as his eyes lit up. "Can I try?"
So with the lesson fresh in my mind, I passed it on to my eager nine year old. And in five minutes, he was playing it better than me.
What is up with that? Well once I properly placed my stolen moment in my humility bag, I marvelled at Owen's ability to pick things up so quickly. This verse came to mind as I thanked God for his gifts.
Deuternomy 4:9 'Only be careful and watch yourself closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.'
And also in chapter 6:5-7 ' Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.'
I was reminded by Owen's quick study how impressionable children are. And how God has given me a great responsibility to impress Him on my children's hearts. Owen said they talked at school about being careful what they watched. I wondered if while he watched me, does he see Jesus in the things I do and say.
I need to remember that his brain is like a sponge and to talk about my love for God as we sit at home and when we walk and when he goes to bed and when he awakes. His love for God is simple and pure and I pray that I do not get in the way.
Are you loving the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and strength in order to pass this on to your children? How are you impressing the things of God into their hearts? Make a decision today to add one part of God into your routine and watch your child lap it up. Bless you in this great responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment