Saturday, March 19, 2011

Mindlessness

I have a confession to make. I am trying with God's help to overcome some areas of weakness. One of these is overeating. I have been starting to pray specifically for strength in this area to be prepared when temptation comes knocking.

Up until recently I have been deceived in my thinking that God will remove my weakness. I prayed as Paul did that God would remove this thorn in my side. I sense new insight into God's reply that His grace is sufficient for us, that His power is made perfect in weakness.

It is in these places that God is glorified, when we know we are too weak to have overcome something on our own. If we did not have these weaknesses, Christ's power and forgiveness would not be necessary.

When we come to the end of ourselves in these areas, it is the only place we have any hope of overcoming them. It will not be the last time we face the temptation, the devil makes sure he plays on our weaknesses. God sometimes allows them to bring these things to the surface as he has with me. We will be stronger in Christ's power to resist it next time though.

Back to my confession. I had an inkling for a snack and within 10 minutes ate 3 licorice, 1 Oh Henry easter egg, a handful of crackers and 1/2 cup of peanuts! I realized about 3/4 of the way through my pigfest, how mindlessly I had accomplished this.

Mindless according to Websters is showing, using, or requiring no intelligience or thought.

I believe this is a common tool built up in our minds to keep us stuck in strongholds or patterns of thinking. We need to become mindful instead; attentive and aware. Attentive first of all to the weakness in us and aware that we cannot have victory in this area without God's help.

It frightened me how easily mindless I am of things sometimes. I thought of the many ways this world can keep us this way also. Television, computers, cell phones, video games, where a lot of the time no intelligience need be used.

I read a line that said God's armor is tailor made for you but you must put it on. He has given us what we need to be mindful of the things that tempt our weaknesses.

Ephesians 6: 10-18

'Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this,take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.'

I am thankful that God is working and my armor is becoming thicker. In this particular weakness I have been mindless for many years. I am grateful to sense His grace 3/4 of the way through instead of not at all!

What areas of your life have you been mindless in? Are you tired enough of your weakness to ask God for help? Please have mercy Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment