Monday, March 22, 2010

Renew Your Mind

Do you know that you can think whatever you want to think? Did you know there was a way to change what you are thinking? I love what Joyce Meyer said on her program today, ‘Your mind does not have to be a trash can for the devil all day!’

What an image that brings to my mind. When God says take captive every thought, he does not just mean random thoughts that are yucky, he means every one. How do we do this practically? I know for years I have tried on my own to ‘change’ the way I think or act. You know the motto, fake it till you make it. Well I am beginning to think that is more like fake it and you will never make it. I am starting to see that God made a way for me to make it already.

When I accepted Jesus into my heart God put His Holy Spirit in me. 2 Peter 1:3 says ‘His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness.’ Did you see that?? By me believing in Him, His divine power has given me everything I need to live a godly life! Isn’t that an amazing promise?

Why do I have such trouble believing it to be true? I think the answer lies in the second part of the verse, through our knowledge of him. How much knowledge of Him do I really have? How much have I allowed God’s word to transform my mind? This is another promise right in His word. Romans 12:2 ‘Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. THEN you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.’

I have been tossing around going to school, possibly Bible College. My friend challenged me the other day through email with a question. Would going to college be a help in my goal to write and speak or would that be a distraction? Good question huh? Well this led into a lengthy discussion with my husband and as I dove more into my motivation; I think it would be more of a distraction at this time. I am not ruling this option out forever but for now the timing is not right.

You see I have this thing in me that believes I will not be able to do anything without an education. This is a whole other blog topic but for the purpose of this one, here is my thought. I think part of me is just waiting for that magic moment when kaboom! I have an intimate knowledge of God and a close relationship and an amazing prayer life and I am living as a victorious Christian. Oh maybe then I can really write and lead others and influence them with my thoughts! Oh maybe if I go to Bible College, that will make things different. Please don’t get me wrong, I believe that there is much to be gained and a purpose for some to attend a Bible College. I just know that if I go from wrong motivations, it will get me nowhere except for another trip around the mountain.

I am beginning to be convicted about this type of thinking, my lack of taking responsibility for my changes. It is a never ending seeking after things that will not satisfy. Nothing will change until my mind changes and my mind will not change without renewing it with God’s word. Another line that Joyce said today that really struck me was ‘Don’t expect to be a victorious Christian unless you study the Word!’

I was expecting to get the reward without the work. I confess this. There have been times that I have studied but not enough, not enough to renew my mind. I was practicing the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I thought if the face of what I was doing changed, then perhaps I would too. I thought if I went to school I would learn the discipline I so desperately want and need to do the things I am to do. Now I haven’t always consciously made these decisions. I think I have tried in different ways to change but I can’t change myself. As I studied God’s word today, it revealed my motivations and showed me what I need to do. I have been given this already through Christ; I just need to submit, to truly believe He has given me all I need. I need to do what I can and to trust Him with the outcome. To be continued until Jesus comes back.......

Father, forgive me for my complacency. I cannot blame my lack of discipline or ability to work hard for something on anybody but myself. Please instil in me a desire to study your Word Lord, not just to read it, but so it pierces my soul and changes me. In Jesus’ name Amen

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!! I so often think if I read another book that I will feel better prepared or more equipped to deal with what God is leading me to do. I see I do not trust Him enough, that He has given me all I need. Thank you for your reminder and your prayer.

    ReplyDelete