Sunday, March 14, 2010

Target Love

Do you recall a time in your life when God had a spotlight on one particular area of your character that needed some work? Wherever you went and whatever you did; your daily lessons, even everything you picked up to read highlighted that certain characteristic.

I both love and dislike when this happens. I love that God is that concerned about my character more than my comfort. It reminds me how much He loves me. At the same time it usually shoves me out of my comfort zone. And I kind of like that place. It is warm and fuzzy and familiar.

Self-control is the area that is being targeted at this time. I know there are so many different facets of this fruit of the spirit. The particular place of self-control God has been speaking to me about is managing my emotions. As I begin to see how much I have been ruled by what I am 'feeling' it is no wonder I have spun my wheels for so long.

1 Peter 5:8 says' Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. ‘I believe that the more unstable we are the more we become like the weak little lamb that is lagging behind the flock. How long before the little one is pounced upon?

Having almost survived my first round of teenagers, I think one of the best gifts we can give them is our emotional stability. Now that is not to say that I have succeeded in this area completely but I am learning. I think the more we can be solid and not rocked by every circumstance, the more our children have a broader base to stand on. Our stability is firmly rooted when it is in our relationship with God. He alone can give us the power to walk in it. He alone has given us the ability to have self-control.

As the verse says, be self-controlled and alert. Alert means to have an attitude of vigilance or readiness. How ready can we be if our emotions are dragging us around? If we are upset or ruled by our feelings, are we trusting God? If we wait to do something until we 'feel' like it, how likely is it to get done? If we make a decision in the middle of excitement, what happens when the excitement fades?

I am so guilty of this sometimes that as I am becoming more aware, it is taking some real diligence to separate the emotion. I know that God gave us emotions for many very good reasons but when they lead, it only leads to trouble. Self-control is to have control of one's emotions. Control means to exercise restraint or direction over. So this is an action we need to do. You know, we do what we can do so God can do what God can do. First believe that we can control ourselves and then as the feelings come up, stop, feel them and then tell them they are not going to rule over you. Make this a practice until the exercise becomes second nature.

In 2 Peter it tells us that God’s divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him and through our knowledge we read of his promises and it gives us escape from the corruption of the world. Peter goes on to say in vs. 5-9' For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness, and to goodness, knowledge and to knowledge, self-control and to self-control, perseverance and to perseverance, godliness and to godliness; brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from past sins.'

Keep reading this chapter to hear more amazing things. God’s word is the authority. Is He speaking to your heart to know it better? We were challenged today at church by the question are you happy to meet the Lord with what you have in your hand today? What kind of an advertisement am I for Christ? And I have to confess that as long as I keep living my life with my brain and my body, not being led by the Holy Spirit and not being self-controlled; I am afraid I am just a flicker of an ad for Christ. I need my light to burn brightly. I may be the only Jesus that someone I know meets.

I know that God has a spotlight on this area for my good and His glory. What areas of your life have you felt a nudge towards changing? Make the choice today to let Him help you do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment