Thursday, May 6, 2010

The 'C' Words

‘We become what we think about.' - Earl Nightingale

Did you know that there are 4 stages to becoming competent? We have all had occasion to progress through these places as we become good at something. Unfortunately I think we can also go through these stages in creating bad habits or behaviours. I have been considering this process a lot lately as God brought three ‘C’ words to my awareness.

Complaining

Criticism

Comparison

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ’. 2 Corinthians 10:5

Pretension – the laying of a claim to something. I believe that these particular ‘C’ words set the stage to lay a claim. When we practice these types of speech we come up against the knowledge of God and create an atmosphere of defeat.

I never really realized how much complaining I did in a day until I read the book ‘A Complaint Free World’ by Will Bowen. He has a website that you can go on to order bracelets to do a 21 day challenge to be complaint free. Can you imagine what our world would be like if people didn’t complain?

He proposes in order to go through this process we do the 4 stages of becoming competent, or four stages of learning as Maslow theorized.

Stage #1 – Unconscious Incompetence

At this stage of the game, you might refer to me as oblivious. I complain but I am not aware of it, nor do I realize the deficit in my character (blind spot, some may say) Why would I want to do anything about it, there is nothing wrong!

Proverbs 14:16' A wise man fears the Lord and shuns evil, but a fool is hotheaded and reckless.'

Stage #2 - Conscious Incompetence

Ewwww, I see the ugly part of me. I am aware. It is becoming more real but is almost too overwhelming to do anything about at this stage. As it seeps into my consciousness, I am more aware of others who do more or less complaining than I do, and it is becoming uncomfortable.

Proverbs 18:2.' A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.'

Stage # 3 – Conscious Competence

In my awareness, effort is needed to stay competent. At this stage is when I am trying to be deliberate to take captive every thought and make it obedient to Christ. I do not want this to be a part of my nature and I know God is the only One who will make a true change in me. Here is the place where the mothers saying, if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all’ comes into play. Sometimes it is eerily quiet!

Proverbs 10:19, 'When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.'

Stage #4 – Unconscious Competence

Practice, Practice, Practice is the old adage. Is this where Philippians 2:14 comes to light? ‘Do everything without complaining or arguing’ Another saying is fake it till you make it! This is where I am aware and I have practiced and now it comes naturally. I become very aware of how others sound as well. I have chosen to surround myself with like people.

So what is your choice? What kind of people do you want to attract by the things you say? How are you giving God glory in your speech?

Proverbs 12:18,' Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.'

By the way, I have not officially started the 21 day challenge, but I will let you know when I get my bracelet. I am trying to stay aware. Sometimes I need to ask God to muzzle me, but whatever it takes. Will you join me on this challenge?

P.S. Get ready because this challenge includes gossip as well......

No comments:

Post a Comment