Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 3 The Manipulating Tongue

Dictionary.com says manipulative means influencing or attempting to influence the behavior or emotions of others for one's own purposes.
I am afraid that even the title of this chapter has brought conviction in my heart. Praise God I have experienced a lot of redemption from using my tongue in this way. I think I am so sensitive to hearing others manipulate with their words because it is so familiar to me. Sadly, it has become so familiar to many people that they are unaware of the damage that it creates.
Manipulation started way back in the garden of Eden when the serpent influenced Eve to taste the fruit. I like how the author put it when she said, manipulation is deceptive and attempts to take away a person's freewill choice.
It seems to be more and more prevalent in society to be indirect and manipulative rather than upfront and honest. All kinds of tactics are used from guilt trips to portraying to be innocent, suffering victims of circumstances. Is this a result of our own insecurity? Think over a day of interacting with people and just ask God to reveal to you how often you or someone else employs this type of speaking.
As I reflect back to when this was a common way for me to communicate, it breaks my heart that I was that empty. My own sense of unworthiness was what fueled my manipulation.
If only....they would like me
If only....they would approve of me
If only....they would love me
Then I was ok....
This was a hard chapter to digest and so I don't want to belabor ir too much. I know for me freedom in this area has come from knowing I am worthy in Christ. So I will finish with His words of who we are for us to battle the use of manipulation.
Speaking the Truth
2 Corinthians 5:17 'Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation, the old has gone the new has come. vs 21 God made him who had no sin (Jesus) to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment