Saturday, June 4, 2011

Day 10 - The Gossiping Tongue

Gossip - idle talk or rumor, especially about the private affairs of others.
I admit that this use of the tongue is a difficult one for me to avoid. Not that I set out to gossip, but I need to be deliberate to stay, turn or walk away. I confess I am easily swayed into joining these conversations that are none of my business. It really must be a conscious effort to not bear or receive gossip about others. I also must be careful about who I associate with.
Proverbs 20:19 'A gossip betrays a confidence, so avoid a man who talks too much.'
You can almost bet that the person gossiping to you or asking you to 'share' is likely gossiping about you or 'passing on' what you've told them.
Loose lips sink ships. The origin of this phrase was coined as a slogan in WWII as part of the US Office of War Information in an attempt to limit the possibility of people inadvertently giving useful information to enemy spies. Loose lips might sink ships literally means unguarded talk may give useful information to the enemy.
I find no coincidence that gossip will give information to the enemy. The devil is deliberate in his plan is to steal, kill and destroy. The enemy will try to use this lack of integrity when we gossip to destroy others along with our own self-worth.
Deborah Pegue says,' What's the solution? How do you stop gossiping? Catch yourself before you indulge. Ask yourself why you are being a bearer of such news...Why are you willing to use the temple of God as a 'trash receptacle' by being a receiver of gossip?'
Speaking the Truth
Psalm 19:14 'May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.'

Excerpts from 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue by Deborah Smith Pegues (Harvest House Publishers 2005). Autographed copy of the book and workbook available at www.confrontingissues.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment