Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 13 - The Belittling Tongue

Belittle- to regard or portray as less impressive or important, disparage (to bring reproach upon)

I am afraid these blog entries are becoming a confessional as God speaks to my heart. Please don't hear me wrong, it is not with condemnation that I work through these things but with conviction and God's guidance, thankful that He loves me enough to discipline me. So forgive me Lord for all the times that I didn't allow my children or others to feel as important or worthy as they are in your sight.
I know from personal experience that insecurity and my desire to feel worthy fueled my tongue to make others feel less than.
It is not someone big and strong who uses their tongue this way but someone who is weak and fearful. Even in the early days of my walk with God, pride puffed me up to think I was somehow better than others who didn't know Him. Thankfully God is dealing with me on both of these issues and as I learn more about God's love and forgiveness, I am able to extend that to others as well.
God without love is just religion and that doesn't change hearts. This world is too hard without others around us to encourage and build us up.
Deborah Pegues asks the questions, 'Do people feel better about themselves after spending time with you? Words are like a hammer. They can tear down or they can build up. How do you use your words mostly? Is it your normal behavior to build?'
It's funny but I've never had a problem encouraging others that I had no expectations of. As God has been changing my heart to see others as He sees them; I am free to have less expectation and freely love those close to me. Thank you Lord.
Keep an inventory of how you use your words today. Encourage one another.
Speaking the Truth
Ephesians 4:29 ' Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.'

Excerpted from 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue by Deborah Smith Pegues (Harvest House Publishers 2005). Autographed copy of the book and workbook available at www.confrontingissues.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment