Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 24 - The Retaliating Tongue

Retaliate - return like for like esp. evil for evil, get even with someone.

1 Peter 3:9 nlt ' Don't repay evil for evil. Don't relatiate when people say unkind things about you. Instead pay them back with blessing. That is what God wants you to do, and he will bless you for it.'

Well this verse from God's word is a great summation of how He sees retaliation. This is the instance where bite your tongue would be advice well taken.
When we experience hurt or a jab from someone it is often quick on our tongue to respond in kind. As a child of God, knowing He wants me to behave in this area, I am very grateful for His mercy.
I am not always quick to obey in this area and too often let my flesh take over. A couple weeks ago I was thankful to hear the Holy Spirit prompt me to 'bite my tongue' with a customer at work.
The words were in my mouth when I sensed God say in my spirit, Stop! you are at work, you don't know her story, just bless her.
I had to quickly reel in my first reaction and chose to obey. The reward was evident as I was able to bless the woman and she left thanking me, despite the fact her issue was not resolved. Only God can do things like that!
Deborah Pegues reflects on choosing to be obedient by saying, ' In recalling these times when I have been victorious, I realize that my responses required humility, a desire to understand the other person's behavior and a commitment to obey and glorify God.'
I believe we can conquer this temptation by being quick to forgive others. If we REALLY get who God is and how much He has REALLY forgiven us ALL the time, who are we to try and hold things against another?
Speaking the Truth
Colossians 3:12,13 ; Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you!'

Excerpted from: 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue by Deborah Smith Pegues (Harvest House Publishers 2005). Autographed copy available from: www.confrontingissues.com

No comments:

Post a Comment