Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 11 - The Meddling Tongue

Meddle- to involve oneself in a matter without right or invitation, interfere.
Ok are some of you cringing already? I didn't realize I should be more than I thought! You mean I can't stick my nose in my adult children's business? Man, I should have read this chapter before I talked to them yesterday! Ahh, but then I would not have as much material to write about and things to confess.
I am reminded again that the best way to tame our tongues is to be mindful of how unruly they truly are and if we do give in to temptation that comes, keep moving our eyes to Jesus and being quick to confess.
Deborah Pegues spoke directly to my heart in saying,' If your children have reached adulthood, try to accept the fact that grown-ups do not need parenting. The law of sowing and reaping the consequences of bad decisions is still one of the most effective teachers of life's lessons. Give them space to learn.'
Forgive me Lord for all the times I have interfered where I don't belong and not only with my children. I am sure I have thwarted your plans in some ways. Thank you that you always have a way despite us.
I know that I am naturally curious but as the author said if we are that way; we must make a special effort to keep inquisitiveness in the bounds of what is socially and spiritually appropriate.
God takes our meddling seriously and counts it as sin, putting it in the same sentence with murder and stealing.
1Peter 4:15 'If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler.'
I thought of the opposite meaning of meddle which would be avoid, dodge or ignore. These could be the tools we use to avoid the temptation of poking our nose in where it does not belong.
Avoid trying to control a situation with your interrogating. Dodge any attempt at someone looking for your opinion to draw you in. Have you ever played dodgeball? Run as hard as you can to avoid those balls coming at you. Ignore the urge to know everything about anything.
We have to be sensitive to the fact that our meddling may be offensive to those around us.
Deborah Pegue ended with,' Someone once said that one reason why people who mind their own business are so successful is they have so little competition. Think about that!'
Speaking the Truth
Hebrews 12:2 ' Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.'

Excerpted from 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue by Deborah Smith Pegues (Harvest House Publishers 2005). Autographed copy of the book and workbook available at www.confrontingissues.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment