Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 16 - The Harsh Tongue

Harsh- ungentle in action or effect, grim; cruel, unpleasant to the senses.

Proverbs 15:1 'A gentle answer turns away wrath but a harsh word stirs up anger.'

I was reminded of a story I once heard as I read through this chapter. I think it is very appropriate for this topic. It was written anonymously.

There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the back of the fence.
The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Over the next few weeks, as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails hammered daily gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.
Finally the day came when the boy didn’t lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper. The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone.
The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said, “You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out. It won’t matter how many times you say I’m sorry, the wound is still there.”
The little boy then understood how powerful his words were. He looked up at his father and said “I hope you can forgive me father for the holes I put in you.”
“Of course I can,” said the father.

As I reread through this story from the perspective of the proverb above, I wonder if the little boy's anger was stirred up by someone's harsh words. I understand some personalities are more prone to anger, although we do have control over our thoughts and actions, some people do not learn the skills needed to redirect their anger. As I look back on my parenting there were many instances that I know my children's anger was likely brought on my quick tongue that spoke harshly. Stop, think and pray were needed in those times. Forgive me Lord.

Speaking the Truth
Proverbs 14:21 ' He who despises his neighbor sins, but blessed is he who is kind to the needy.'
Ephesians 4:32 ' Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.'

No comments:

Post a Comment