Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Day 27 - The Doubting Tongue

Doubt - to be uncertain and undecided about, to distrust, a feeling of uncertainty and indecision, not believing, lack of faith; conviction

James 1:5-7 'If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God who gives generously to all without finding fault and it will be given to him. But when he asks he must not doubt because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man unstable in all he does.'

These verses paint a strong picture for me as to how God sees us when we doubt. I was reminded of the time when Wade and I were on our honeymoon. We were on a cruise ship and we were sitting on the deck watching the ocean. Wade went to get us some drinks and while he was gone I spotted a dolphin amidst the waves. It was an amazing sight when all we could see was water. I will never forget how the rolling waves were somewhat disconcerting for me. The ocean is amazing and very powerful and I thought the only thing seperating us from it was the ship. We were a tiny dot in the vastness of God's creation. We were at His mercy. Our doubting needs His mercy. This picture of the rolling waves I saw were reminiscient of my heart when I live in unbelief and doubt of God's promises.
God takes our doubt very seriously as it is a sign of our unbelief. I know if I am not believing I feel like someone bobbing in the waves with no clear direction. I float along and get swept away into anything life brings. I need to be deliberate about where my focus is.
God includes the unbelieving in the list of those who will be separated from Him. Revelation 21:6-8 'He said to me,"It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars- their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulpher. This is the second death."'
Deborah Pegues says we must become proficient at knowing and declaring the promises of God.'What are some things you find yourself speaking about in a doubtful way? Is it the fear of pursuing a career or tasks for which you feel inadequate? The hopelessness of forging an amicable relationship with a difficult person? That seemingly impossible task of getting into shape? Perhaps you have resorted to being a doubting Thomas who would only believe what he could touch?'
I liked what Joyce Meyer said, " We don't see a book of Thomas in the Bible!"
I had a revelation tonight that even silently agreeing with the lies that something is too hard or it won't change fuels our unbelief in not being able to trust God.
How do others around you influence your beliefs? Limit your time with those who speak negatively or create doubt into your goals or desires. Do the opposite and be confident of who God is and what He can do.
I cry out to God as the man in Mark 9 does as he prays for a miracle for his son to be delivered, 'I do believe, help me overcome my unbelief!'
Speaking the Truth
Philippians 1:6 'Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
Psalm 27:13,14 'I am still confident of this, I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.'

Excerpted from 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue by Deborah Smith Pegues (Harvest House Publishers 2005). Autographed copy of the book and workbook available at www.confrontingissues.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment