Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 8 The Self-Deprecating Tongue

Self-deprecating - to express earnest disapproval or to belittle yourself.
Joyce Meyer says there are studies that prove we believe more of what we say to ourselves than what anyone else tells us.
It amazes me how much of the uses of our tongue in negative ways, traces back to our lack of identity. If we TRULY believed we were children of God and made in His image; would we belittle ourselves?
Genesis 1:27 'So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.'
Would we disapprove of the way we look if we REALLY believed in the beauty He created in us?
Ecclesiastes 3:11 ' He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.'
Deborah Pegues says,' Self-deprecation is often disguised as humility. In reality it is a rejection of the Word of God which says we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. (Phillipians 4:13) We need to watch the negative labels we put on ourselves. Have you had an experience that you have allowed to define you?'
Romans 12:2a 'Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.'
This is God's prescription for healing in this area. We will not change what we do until we learn to change the way we think. Transforming the mind is done through God's word. Speak the truth until your heart and mind believe it. You will have no reason to put yourself down when God's word builds you up.
Speaking the Truth
Psalm 139:13-16
'For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb,
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.'

Excerpts from 30 Days to Taming Your Tongue by Deborah Smith Pegues (Harvest House Publishers 2005). Autographed copy of the book and workbook available at www.confrontingissues.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment